EMchat - Instant Messaging in (S)XEmacs
Yes, that's right. You can chat to all your
friends from the comfort of your favourite editor.
What is EMchat
EMchat is an instant messaging client written entirely in
elisp (emacs lisp). It currently only supports the ICQ
protocol, but more protocols like Jabber are planned for the
It runs in
EMchat will not run in
and we have no immediate plans for porting. We're all (S)XEmacs
As yet, there have not been any EMchat releases, but you may
download a development snapshot here
Screenshot 1 This is
the layout that I use. It has XFace/CFace display turned
on, gutter tabs instead of a buddy buffer, and
Screenshot 2 This
shows another possible layout that uses a single
buffer. It also uses the gutter tabs to replace the status
Screenshot 3 This
one is from the more traditional layout. No gutter tabs
this time, it uses the status buffer. The buddy buffer is
displaying only those buddies that are currently
Screenshot 4 Well,
we gotta eat. :-) This shot also displays the EMchat logo
on a button in the default toolbar.
- EMchat is written entirely in elisp
- EMchat uses the latest version of the ICQ protocol. (OSCAR)
- Send/receive messages
- Send/receive URL type messagse
- Send/Receive authorisation request messages
- Approve/Decline incoming auth requests
- Query ICQ users' meta info
- Search for ICQ users
- Dynamically add new users to your contact list
- Play sounds for different events.
- Auto online after a auto away/na.
- Auto response away/na/dnd/occ messages.
- Different auto response messages if EMchat has idled away/na
- Auto reconnect if you are kicked off ICQ.
- Gnus style smileys
- Gnus style text emphasis (underline, bold, italic,
- "Clickable" hyperlinks for URL's, email addresses, and
Unix manual page titles
- climm (mICQ) style per contact history logs
- ERC/Riece style modeline activity indicator
- Works in both a GUI environment and on a console/TTY
(even both at the same time)
- A dockable frame that tracks the number of unread messages.
- Interactive customisation through XEmacs Custom widgets.
- Key binding, "scripting" in elisp.
- Allow other users/contacts to psycho-analyse
- Display X-Face/Colour Face header images in buddy
- An "oops" function
- Customisable semi-automation
If you'd like to help out with the continuing development of
EMchat, we'd love to hear from you. The easiest way would be to
drop us a line at EMchat Devel
Please note that this mailing list is open post to subscribers
only, due to SPAM issues.
Want to help, but don't know the first thing about XEmacs,
lisp, or even ICQ?...
Are any of the EMchat developers online right now?
-- Steve Youngs "JackaLX"
-- Erik Arneson "BRandom"
-- Thorsten Bonow "Toto"
-- Sebastian Freundt "hroptatyr"
-- Jarl Friis "jarl"
-- Alexey Mikhailov "karma"
-- Evgeny Zajcev "lg"